Weight loss supplements can help men achieve their body composition goals by improving metabolic health, increasing the body’s fat-burning ability, and decreasing cravings. The right weight loss pill will support other weight loss habits like diet and exercise and drive consistent results over time.
The best weight loss supplements on the market are formulated with ingredients that are well-researched, safe, and effective.
Best Ingredients for Appetite Suppression
Appetite suppressants help you eat less by signaling a feeling of fullness to your central nervous system. They do this by absorbing hormones that stimulate hunger and promoting the production of hormones that indicate satiety.
Let us have a look at the most effective ingredients in appetite suppressants:
Griffonia Simplicifolia (5-HTP)
5-HTP is a compound produced by the seeds of an African plant called Griffonia Simplicifolia. It is found naturally in small doses in L-Tryptophan-rich foods such as turkey, pumpkin seeds, chicken, and milk.
Besides helping with sleep and mood disorders, headaches, and premenstrual syndrome, 5-HTP has been shown to reduce both appetite and overall caloric intake. 
In fact, according to research, the use of 5-HTP was positively correlated with decreased food intake and weight loss. 
Caralluma Fimbriata is an edible cactus. Used in traditional medicine in both China and Middle Eastern countries for centuries, it acts as a natural appetite suppressant and healing qualities.
While we have yet to see large-scale research studies necessary to confirm this product’s efficacy, the current body of research is promising.
In an Australian study, subjects took either 1 gram of Caralluma Fimbriata or a placebo. The Caralluma subjects lost twice as many centimeters from their waists compared to the placebo group. 
Caralluma is “Generally Regarded As Safe” (GRAS) by the FDA. Side effects are moderate and seem to go away with continued use.
Raspberry ketones are an aromatic compound of red raspberries. They have been used in food and perfume production for decades, but in recent years they have entered the spotlight as a natural weight loss aid.
They support weight loss by increasing lipolysis (the technical term for fat burning). 
L-Carnitine is a natural amino acid that helps transport fatty acids to the mitochondria for fat burning and energy generation. This new energy allows you to have more stamina and vigor during the day.
Although L-carnitine is used for a variety of conditions, it has been shown to quicken weight loss for obese and older adults. It may also improve athletic performance and recovery thanks to its ability to speed up cellular turnover. 
L-carnitine has been linked to improved cellular brain and heart health, as well as decreased risk of disease and premature aging. [7, 8]
Most Effective Ingredients in Fat Burners
Fat burners work by increasing fat metabolism and impairing fat absorption. They utilize responses from your nervous system, cardiovascular system, or digestive system to elicit results. 
If you are looking for the best fat burner pills, focus on the following ingredients:
Synephrine is a derivative of bitter orange extract. It is a stimulant that increases heart rate, metabolic rate, and energy levels.
Research shows that synephrine may have a moderate impact on weight loss. Consult a medical professional to determine the right dose. 
Caffeine is a popular ingredient in weight loss products. It may already be a part of your current diet in the form of coffee, tea, or energy drinks.
In weight loss products, caffeine is touted for its ability to increase energy and metabolic function. An impressive body of research supports these claims.
A 2019 meta-analysis of caffeine studies proved that an increase in caffeine intake is associated with a decrease in BMI, weight, and fat mass. 
Keep in mind that it is important not to overdose on caffeine to avoid unwanted side effects such as insomnia, heart palpitations, irritability, and gastrointestinal problems. 
Health experts do not recommend exceeding 400 mg per day.
The research on green tea, weight loss, and general health is impressive.
Many fat burning products capitalize on the power of this superstar ingredient by including green tea catechins in their pills.
Research demonstrates that catechins create a minor but significant increase in fat oxidation (a technical term for burning fat instead of glucose). They may also improve overall cardiovascular and metabolic health. 
Hot Pepper Extract
Capsaicin is the active component in chili peppers. Ingesting the extract in pill form can help improve metabolic function and decrease dietary fat absorption. 
The current body of research indicates that chili pepper derivatives are a natural and low-risk way to potentially speed up weight loss and support weight loss maintenance.
Appetite Suppressants vs. Fat Burners
If you are on the hunt for the best over-the-counter weight loss pills, you have noticed that most products fall in one of two categories: appetite suppressants and fat burners.
Should you take both, either, or neither?
The most common approach in the fitness world entails ‘stacking’ diet pills and supplements to achieve the desired results. This means taking a variety of complementary products each day on a set schedule that coalesces with workout and meal timing.
While this approach can be useful, it may be too time-consuming and expensive for the average consumer.
If you are looking to maximize your weight loss, choose one of the following approaches.
- Rely on a combination of two specific supplements: one product that emphasizes appetite suppression, and one product that emphasizes fat burning.
- Find an all-in-one product that checks as many boxes as possible.
When it comes to diet pills, look for popular products that include the ingredients examined in this article and work with a medical professional to develop a smart approach.
Amongst the weight loss pills with the best ingredients, we recommend two products in particular: 5 Star Fat Burner and Phen Caps.
On the one hand, 5 Star Fat Burner is an all-natural, high-quality supplement that speeds up metabolism and increases fat burn. It is formulated with two clinically proven ingredients – Capsimax® and GreenSelect® Phytosome®.
On the other hand, Phen Caps contains nine powerful all-natural, high-quality ingredients including 5-HTP, Caralluma, Synephrine, and Raspberry Ketones to suppress appetite.
Please keep in mind that no appetite suppressant or fat burner will work without a sensible reduction in calories and a sustained increase in movement. Be sure to pair supplements with a balanced diet, regular exercise, and high-quality sleep.
- Appetite Suppressants & Weight Loss. (n.d.). https://my.clevelandclinic.org/health/drugs/9463-appetite-suppressants
- 5-HTP efficacy and contraindications (2012, July 19). https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3415362/
- Ceci, F., Cangiano, C., Cairella, M. et al. (1989) The effects of oral 5-hydroxytryptophan administration on feeding behavior in obese adult female subjects. J. Neural Transmission 76, 109–117. https://doi.org/10.1007/BF01578751
- PhD, D. M. F. R. C. P. I. (2019, July 26). https://healthybutsmart.com/caralluma-fimbriata-proven-benefits/
- Alkaladi, Ali & Ali, Haytham & Abdelazim, AaserM & Afifi, Mohamed & Baeshen, Mohammed & AL-Farga, Ammar. (2020). Raspberry ketone attenuates high-fat diet-induced obesity by improving metabolic homeostasis in rats. Asian Pacific Journal of Tropical Biomedicine. 10. 18. 10.4103/2221-1691.273090.
- L-Carnitine: Benefits, Side Effects, Sources and Dosage (2020, March 5). https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/l-carnitine
- L-Carnitine and acetyl-L-carnitine roles and neuroprotection in developing brain (2017, May 16). https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5621476/
- Kaneko M;Fukasawa H;Ishibuchi K;Niwa H;Yasuda H;Furuya R; (n.d.). L-carnitine Improved the Cardiac Function via the Effect on Myocardial Fatty Acid Metabolism in a Hemodialysis Patient. Retrieved from https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/30146554/?from_term=L-carnitine&from_page=2&from_pos=7
- Jeukendrup, A.E. and Randell, R. (2011), Fat burners: nutrition supplements that increase fat metabolism. Obesity Reviews, 12: 841-851. doi:10.1111/j.1467-789X.2011.00908.x
- Patel, K. (2019, November 6). Synephrine. https://examine.com/supplements/synephrine/
- The effects of caffeine intake on weight loss: a systematic review and dos-response meta-analysis of randomized controlled trials. – PubMed – NCBI. (n.d.). https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/30335479
- Caffeine: How much is too much? (2020, March 6). https://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-lifestyle/nutrition-and-healthy-eating/in-depth/caffeine/art-20045678
- Patel, K. (2020, February 21). Green Tea Catechins. https://examine.com/supplements/green-tea-catechins/
- Capsaicin as an anti-obesity drug. – PubMed – NCBI. (n.d.). https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24941669