If you’re here, you probably want to avoid gaining the dreaded “freshman 15”. Or you already gained a little more than you would’ve liked and now you want to shed some pounds. Whether your goal is weight maintenance or some quick & healthy weight loss, dorm room snacks should be part of your strategy! Research shows eating throughout the day helps combat cravings, avoid over-indulgence and can reduce overall calorie intake.
The trick is to choose healthy dorm room snacks and keep portions in-check. For the average person eating three meals a day, your 1-2 daily snacks should be no more than about 100-200 calories each. Make sure to read you ingredients’ nutrition labels to make sure you’re picking the healthiest options.
Unfortunately, most of us don’t have a kitchen at our disposal in our dorm rooms, so it can be hard to eat healthy. Plus, college student = no money to buy fancy packaged snacks.
Here are 50 easy & healthy dorm room snacks – no stove, countertops or oven needed!
- Apple and cheese
- Apple and peanut butter
- Banana and peanut butter
- Banana and peanut butter with chocolate chips
- Banana with fat-free/low-fat yogurt
- Orange slices (or a cutie)
- Berries (blueberries, raspberries, strawberries, blackberries)
- Berries and yogurt
- Berries and yogurt with chocolate chips
- Grapes and cheese cubes (cheddar, Colby or swiss)
- Frozen grapes
- Baby carrots and ranch dressing
- Baby carrots and hummus
- Baby carrots and soft cheese (like Laughing Cow)
- Sliced bell peppers and hummus
- Sliced bell peppers and soft cheese (like Laughing Cow)
- Sliced cucumbers and ranch dressing
- Ants on a log (celery + peanut butter + raisins)
Bread and Crackers
- Whole-grain crackers and cheese
- Whole-grain crackers and peanut butter
- Whole-grain crackers and sliced turkey (deli meat)
- Whole-grain crackers with tomato and cheese
- Slice of whole-wheat bread with spreadable cheese (or a slice of low-fat cheese)
- Slice of whole-wheat bread with peanut butter and/or jelly
- Slice of whole-wheat bread with butter
- Slice of whole-wheat bread with tomato and cheese
- Whole-wheat pita bread and hummus
- Whole-wheat pita sandwich with turkey, lettuce and tomato
- Turkey and cheese roll-ups (tortilla + turkey/ham + cheese + lettuce, rolled)
- Peanut butter banana (or apple) wrap (tortilla + peanut butter + sliced banana/apple)
- Pretzels and soft cheese
- Pretzels and hummus
- Pretzels and peanut butter
- Instant oatmeal (made with water or skim milk, depending on what you like)
- Light/Natural popcorn. Be careful not to burn it and set off the fire alarm!
- Quesadilla (tortilla + cheese, microwaved for 30-60 seconds)
- Microwave “baked” apple (take the core out, cut apple into eighths, sprinkle with cinnamon and brown sugar, microwave for 1-2 minutes or until apple reaches desired mushiness)
- Microwaved eggs: whisk together an egg and a splash of milk (or water, if you’re in a pinch), then microwave for 30-60 seconds. Add salt, pepper and/or cheese for extra flavor.
Other Nutritious Nibbles
- Trail mix (peanuts, raisins, Chex, M&Ms, etc.). Remember a serving of trail mix is only ¼ cup.
- Cereal with milk
- Granola bar
- Fat-free/low-fat yogurt
- Fat-free/low-fat yogurt with Cheerios (or other cereal). Skip the granola – it’s unnecessarily high in calories and sugar.
- Fat-free/low-fat cottage cheese
- Fat-free/low-fat cottage cheese with applesauce
- Fat-free/low-fat cottage cheese with fruit jam
- Hot chocolate (made with 8oz of fat-free milk)
Need a little extra help controlling cravings or keeping portion size in-check? Phen Caps is a powerful dietary supplement that suppresses appetite and boosts energy using a unique combination of nine natural ingredients. Click here to learn more and get 20% off your first order!
Happy snacking! If you have any other favorite dorm room snacks, we’d love to hear about them in the comments section below!